- / +

  • I like it when we ignore our own lines and just keep a secret together.

  • Jamcracker's eyes covered in a white skin I had to peel off.

  • When Al Roker goes camping, he cheats. He saves the water from his first shower and steals a little from every successive shower, hoarding it away so he can sell it to the others.

  • Downstairs in my parents' house I was struggling with a canvas bag full of water. It was too heavy, I was falling over. Heather came down the stairs and I realized I was naked but didn't care too much; I was also giving birth. Inside the bag were two babies and I needed her help to get them out. She did, and handed them to me and left. I scooped the gunk from the mouth of one kitten and gave it a little shake. It mewed and I turned to the other one. It was dead and nothing I could do would bring it back. It was my fault; I had let it drown.

  • edebroux is gone but I can take pictures to show her what everything is like. I turned the camera sideways and was surprised at the narrowness of the picture. I caught three faces in the shot, one of them mine, but I did not look like myself.

  • For a Catholic you sure bump into people a lot.

  • Explaining David Sedaris' new book to two gay men. A man pretends to be straight, to impress someone, gets caught in a relationship he doesn't want, and stays in it out of stubbornness. After months of pretending they're perfect for each other, they find out they're perfect for each other.

  • The accountant showed up without warning and wasn't very polite. Dusik loved her bluntness. I struggled with the binder. Dusik asked a question about real estate. "Well if you know that much, you're perfectly capable of looking it up yourself in Architectual Digest."

  • A package I mailed myself, twice.

  • Standing with Pete in the bookstore trying to figure out what the announcement had been about the sick kid. No one knew. Two black gym bags on the floor, I thought they might have bombs in them so I checked. No bombs but about 17 cents, which I kept. A mean-looking foreign man showed up and I thought he was the terrorist but he was buying children's books. I told him he was buying a good one, and we talked a little, but he was the type who was embarassed to read kids' books, thought it was funny, kept making excuses.