- / +

  • I thought, this is just like those dreams where there's change all over the ground and all I have to do is gather it. It was dark, but I was able to gather heaping muddy handfuls of change. A spring in the ground gave way and drenched us all. We found Indian coins further down. One of the youinger girls said this was the best day of her life, which made me sad for her.

  • Out in the woods with Noah. Compasses strewn everywhere - I must have seen a dozen. He wanted me to go to Wisconsin with him on his motorcycle. It would take three days. I declined. He was angry.

  • A commercial for Sara Lee cheesecake. The woman smashed it into bits on her plate and then had an orgasm.

  • Looking down from the balcony I could see her showing off. She was beautiful but annoying.

  • In my grandmother's house I could see the mailman coming up the front steps. I ducked so he wouldn't see it. But it was my grandmother, and she was locked out, so I had to get up and let her in. She was crabby as usual. I sat on the floor sorting perfume samples that had come in yesterday's mail.

    My mother got angry about Eleanor and burst into her room. She hadn't been out in years. I went in too and found her sitting in a corner, limp, in a black bathrobe. When she exploded at us it was with pure rage. I drew the curtains. My grandmother wouldn't admit anything was happening.