It used to be that whenever I had my oil changed there would be a discussion about my air filter. My owner's manual suggests replacing it every 15,000 miles and I had my choice of paying a premium to have someone else change it or taking time out to run to the auto parts store for a filter that I would have to install. Our local Advanced Auto Parts store has always treated me well. I rarely feel as if they look down on me for being an out of place female who knows nothing about autos and the advice and service they have delivered has been well above average.

I can't remember what I went to the store for initially however as long as I was there I thought I could prepare for my next oil change by purchasing an air filter ahead of time. I enjoy a great relationship with the guys who change my oil. Mobil One Express is the only place I go as the service is outstanding while the prices are extremely reasonable. The Firestone down the block takes care of my tires and going to the same places allows me to establish relationships that reduce my chances of getting ripped off.

While I was at Advanced Auto Parts I found out that you could purchase standard air filters or I could spring for one that had a million mile warranty. After discussing the advantages with the guy behind the counter I decided to go ahead with the purchase even though I would have to wait for a filter to get shipped in from another location. The packaging claimed that this was "The World's Best Air Filter" so I thought I would give it a try. My K&N washable and reusable air filter came with a special sticker that lets whoever services my car know that this air filter should not be discarded.

My new and improved air filter was $54.64 after tax and according to the manufacturer it should be cleaned every 50,000 miles. Cleaning instructions are on the K&N website. The process is slightly more complicated than the service tech made it out to be however the cost savings, waste reduction and improved air flow make this purchase worth it in my opinion. No other air filter I've seen comes with a warranty that is this nice, a million miles may not be a theoretical lifetime however you have zero warranty with disposable filters that do not last nearly as long or perform as well.

Even if you do not own an exotic, luxury, or performance vehicle I would urge you to consider investing in a good air filter. The K&N box reminds users that cars with clogged filters are like people trying to breathe through straws and fuel efficiency can diminish with a dirty filter. K&N filters increase horsepower, K&N is also a 5 time winner of the Manufacturer of the Year award which is presented by the Performance Warehouse Association.

If you purchase this filter I would recommend taping your receipt to the box, prominently displaying your sticker so service people don't have to hunt for it and I would also write down your odometer reading at the time of install because if your memory is anything like mine it is good yet short. My air filter was purchased on March 17, 2011, Advanced Auto Parts did not charge me freight for my filter and so far I have been pleased with its performance since I have saved money by not having to buy another filter.

For most people a car is a significant purchase so taking care of it makes sense. It is much cheaper to maintain an auto than it is to pay for repairs and if your filter increases efficiency there will be a fuel savings as well. Small economies add up to larger ones, cleaner air and less environmental waste create winning situations for people and the earth so please consider giving your motor vehicle the simple gift of The World's Best Air Filter.

To learn more about K&N products, services and statistics visit their website at www.knfilters.com.