Shoe companies are not charitable institutions. They are for profit companies with bills to pay and if they are a publicly traded company such as Nike or Reebok they have shareholders to satisfy. Even if you are not intimately acquainted with the Bible you may be familiar with the Pontius Pilate quote "What is truth?" that appears in John 18:38. Books have been written about truth, what it is, what it is not, whether it is absolute or relative and what constitutes a lie.

So what are shoe companies saying and, more importantly how can you as a consumer protect yourself? According to one statistic there are more lawyers in Seattle than in the entire country of Japan. Manufacturing companies are careful about what claims they make about their products because a lawsuit costs them time, money and their reputation which can have a detrimental effect on future sales.

The next time you go to the gym sit and watch the people circling the track. At the YMCA I frequent there is a decent mix of people in various stages of physical fitness. You can find morbidly obese people, people that I would call anorexic and some in between types who are neither fat nor thin. Considering that all of us have been using our bodies since birth it is a shame that so few people understand their bodies and use them correctly.

Good shoes will protect your feet, support them and provide adornment. Smart shoppers will recognize that if you care for an item properly it will perform better, malfunction less frequently and cost less to repair. While there are exceptions to every rule generally speaking the cars that are in for regular maintenance and have good tires that are rotated routinely are less likely to break down than cars whose owners drive them past the recommended limits for oil changes and tire rotations.

Just as tires on a car wear down, tread on shoes wears down. If you put the wrong sized tire on your vehicle it will perform less optimally than tires that fit correctly. Hopefully you're thinking that almost no one puts the wrong sized tires on their car. Tires are standardized, it is relatively easy to determine which ones fit your car and which ones will be either too large or not quite big enough.

Shoes, while serving some of the same functions as tires are not so easy to size correctly. Various studies have tried to determine how many people are wearing the wrong size shoes. Humans are irregular, most of us have a foot that is slightly wider or shorter than the other. People have leg length discrepancies, one foot may have a bunion the other lacks, my point is sizing feet is not difficult, getting people into shoes that are the right size is a challenge trained professionals face daily.

Experts can tell when shoes do not fit. Most of the people who work at shoe stores are sales people. Not podiatrists, not pedorthists, not certified fitters, they are sales people. They are trained to sell the maximum amount of products to the maximum amount of people. Pushing products is how they are compensated and you can make a decent living if you are friendly, personable and able to refrain from physically harming the people attached to the feet you want to help.

Even when you know what you are talking about you will have the bargain shoppers who buy the wrong shoes because they are cheaper than the shoes they need. You will run into the fitness expert that thinks they know more than you because they work out and the people who would rather have something cute that they think looks good than a pair of shoes that meets the support needs of their feet.

Caveat emptor is hardly a new concept. Shoe companies are trying to sell you shoes just as car manufacturers are trying to sell cars and cosmetic companies are trying to sell the idea that their overpriced products are something people actually need. Are companies like Revlon and Loreal lying to you when they airbrush photos of their models? Are shoe companies telling the truth about their shoes that claim to tone and firm and if their claims are false, are you as a consumer smart enough to recognize a sales pitch for what it is and walk away from a clever marketing scheme?

The company I work for has a guaranteed return policy. If you buy any of our products you can send them back at any time for any reason within six months for full credit. If you wear a pair of our sandals for five and a half months, ship them back to us and we receive them before six months have passed we will issue a credit for the full purchase price regardless of the reason you have returned our merchandise.

As a consumer you need to educate yourself. You need to know your body and you need to understand and listen to it. People have a tendency to overthink shoes. Today my daughter tried on three pairs of sandals. The first pair she wanted so she told me they felt great. The second and third pairs actually fit but she did not like the color scheme on the second pair so she told me that they felt terrible.

The third pair fit and I didn't have to ask her anything because she ran off with them on her feet. She wanted to wear her shoes out of the store, she did not want to take them off when it was time to pay for them and if your shoes do not immediately feel good they probably are not the shoes for you. The best shoe fitter, the podiatrist with the most education and the pedorthist with years of experience are all humans. They are going to make mistakes however hopefully no one is going to lie to you.

Shoe companies employ sales people to sell their shoes. If you are unwilling to listen to a professional who measures your feet, walk out of that shoe store because a professional depends on your feedback and if you don't trust them to measure your foot they can't trust you to give them accurate feedback on what a shoe feels like beneath your foot.

People enter stores believing that they will be ripped off. They talk on their cell phones, disparage your products and complain about all sorts of things while you're working and they are shopping. Employees still owe them good service and I've been on all three sides of the shoe sales triangle. Currently I work for a manufacturer, previously I was employed at a retail shoe store and I've been purchasing shoes since I was a teenager.

Sometimes it is the sales person or fitter who is to blame for a poor fit. People who are busy, who lack the knowledge, expertise, and training necessary to identify a good fit are not all evil and intent on ruining your feet. Often times people are their own worst enemies because instead of shopping for shoes from the inside out they shop from the outside in which is understandable yet regrettable.

The human body is a very complex machine. The majority of people I see every day have not mastered the deceptively complicated art of walking. Their shoes are cheap, insignificant, poorly made and of inferior design. Good footwear is out there however many people do not value their bodies or understand that you put a lot of miles on your feet and just like lower quality tires will get you from point A to point B your shocks and struts may suffer as a result.

Now I realize I haven't touched running shoes, specialty shoes or custom orthotics that fit into shoes but you have to crawl before you can walk and if you can't get people into the right size shoes there is no point in wasting your time or theirs identifying what their support needs are or what type of running shoe if any would benefit them.

If you went behind the scenes in a restaurant you would find out what people really do to your food. I have witnessed shoe store employees lying to their customers and stretching the truth. Companies that manufacture shoes can be accused of false advertizing, some of them have lied to the general public however my guess is you'll have a hard time proving that in a court of law even if their shoes severely injure you.

Good shoes feel good. So few people know what a properly fitted shoe feels like that a pair which offers a correct level of support and a good fit feels wrong to them. They think they are being lied to when you explain how much space should be beyond their longest toe. They don't believe scans of their feet and doubt their own bodies when you can see their shoulders straightening and their gait returning to normal.

There are few guarantees in life. Shoes are typically not guaranteed and it is too bad that people do not take the time to educate themselves on what type of foot they have and what type of shoe and support would work best for their foot. You can be mad that you are paying too much for shoes you buy off the shelf, you can be disgusted at what passes for footwear in chains and franchises or you can start educating yourself so you know when someone is lying and someone else is telling you the truth because they know that an educated customer will come back again and refer people to you.

Feet can be divided up into three categories, either you have a high, a low or a medium arch. Your foot can be consistently measured and if you go to two places and get two different measurements know that your foot size can change throughout the day and can be up to a size larger after athletic activities.

Many of the people I know have a closet full of shoes that fail to meet their footwear needs. Feet are the foundation of your body. Roughly twenty-five percent of your bones lie beneath your ankle, almost every joint you have depends on proper foot alignment and there are more than three hundred different diagnoses that a healthcare professional can make based on an assessment of your feet.

Expecting shoe companies to have more integrity than other manufacturing companies is idealistic. It would be nice if you could believe everyone you spoke with however since they are your feet you are charged with their care, maintenance and health. Hopefully this has shed a little light on what it is like to be inside the shoe profession. I'm not here to bash any brands nor will I recommend any unless I can see the foot I'm working with which is what people should be doing when recommending footwear.

Liars can figure and figures can lie. If something sounds too good to be true it probably is however shoes can never feel too good. They should never hurt, shoes should not give you blisters and you should understand what the shoe was designed to do before you purchase a pair of shoes that you think will do something the manufacturer never intended.

No one brand of shoes is going to work for every person so be wary about recommending footwear to your friends and family based on your personal experience. Recognize that companies are only as good as the people running them, you as an end user are ultimately responsible for your footwear situation.

If you believe that a company is lying to you take it up with them and see what their response is. Blanket statements are not as effective as specific ones. Part of my job entails responding to emails the company I work for receives so I've seen claims that our footwear is poorly made, doesn't last, injured someone or was in some way defective.

Good shoe companies will always take back defective merchandise. Producing a product that needs approval from the Federal government requires you to have outside certification that your product does what it says it is going to at a minimum. There are provisions in place for people who were deceived, misinformed and hotlines to report abuses of companies so the government can follow up on these claims.

Not every company will fully disclose the truth about their products. Drug companies have sold products that killed people. Surgeons have operated on the wrong body parts, you have probably made a mistake or two in your lifetime. Accusing someone of lying is serious. Concerns that involve product safety should be taken to the corporation responsible for the inaccurate claims so future injuries can be prevented.