Interview aftermath:

Naturally I was nervous but less so than in the past. My traditional interview outfit is usually some combination of black pants with a white shirt and jacket but today I chose a pleated skirt and ribbed turtleneck. I thought I was going to be late. I went through unlikely scenarios in my head as I drove. I parked off to the side of the building when I got there. I was a couple minutes early which was good because it gave me some time to study the place. They sell and service musical instruments. It’s a neat place and the people seem friendly which is always a good sign. The man who interviewed me has the same name as a friend of mine which took some getting used to. He made notes and asked thought provoking questions. I tried to be candid and honest. In retrospect I think that the interview went well. I think he and I connected as people but I don’t think that I will get the job.

Part of the application process was a personality test. Reviewing that was interesting. Surprisingly the job I have fits me fairly well. I don’t hate the job I have now but I don’t like working by myself. I mentioned that along with needing benefits as reasons I was looking for a new job. I really liked the guy that interviewed me. He made some references to being like me in terms of personality. I wouldn’t have thought that we were similar. My friend who works for him described him as very fair. That says cool and chilly to me. In person I found him to be thoughtful and concerned about employee retention. He was also candid with me about what the job entailed. If I had to sum it up I would say that he wants to hire me but not for the job I’m applying for. I would also say that I would like to work for his company in some other capacity than the job he has to offer.

I sent him an e-mail thanking him for his time. I asked if he could see me fitting into the organization. He said yes but there was reservation in his voice. There are other candidates that he’s interviewing. I wrote a short story in my head about doing away with the other candidates. It was a way to pass the time and as soon as I saw the staircase I could see someone pushing another person down it. Why my mind works that way I’m not sure but it was fun to think about while I was waiting for the interview to start. I don’t know why it’s easier to think about things that will never happen than to write about the way things really are. I want to write more about the way my life really is which is easier to do in the bright light of day. A long time ago someone told me that writing is a way of remembering things. Today that is true for me. This interview is something I want to remember. Interesting people. Interesting places. Will this lead to an interesting new job? Will I be able to go back to my life and the way it was now that I’ve had a taste of what it could be? The world may never know and that too is interesting.