Working late last night meant I came home too wound up to go to sleep. This morning my plan to sleep in was interrupted by a call from my oldest daughter's teacher. Since I had to go to school to drop my daughter's retainer off I thought I might as well put gas in my car. As long as I was at the gas station I decided to get my car washed. Back at home I finished cleaning the interior of my car. After that I went for a walk and by the time I got back it was time to get ready for work.

Work was really slow today. It was slow yesterday and one of the things that frustrates me about my job is our sales plan comes from corporate and it seems to me like they are not very realistic about goal setting. So far the store I work at is down for the week, we're down for the month and down for the year. I get that the company wants to push us as employees however they should also realize that if you dangle carrots and never give anyone a bite pretty soon people are going to stop believing the carrot exists.

Right now a lot of upper management is burned out. My boss had a bad attitude today even though we had a good day in terms of quality sales. To me the company would be better off focusing on the quality of the sale rather than total sales volume because sometimes you don't have what people want or they don't have the money. That may sound like an excuse but great sales people are relationship builders. If you give people with sales potential the tools and freedom to do things their way the store will do better simply because you have your customers selling for you.

Today my boss asked what should be done about a coworker of mine. While it is an undeniable fact that she could use more training it is also true that this girl doesn't care enough to ask for what she needs. When I've tried to work with her she's not interested and I know people hate being told what to do but sales is a numbers game, it's a getting past the rejection game and the way corporate wants us to do things sounds impossible until you make up your mind that you're going to do what they say or die trying.

As far as my job goes right now I'm not sure where to go next. I think that if I worked during the day my job would be better for me than it is now. I don't know why but I'm naturally a morning person. As the day goes on I start wearing down and arriving at work at noon or one and working until nine-thirty messes up my sleep cycle and when I'm tired I can't function as well as I normally would. Sometimes I think I should find something that pays better but being respected for being perceived as knowledgeable is kind of a new thing for me.

Personally I've been trying to live up to some new expectations I've set for myself. I like writing but I need to make sure my life is balanced so I do other things besides sit in front of the computer. Having a job helps with that but since I view writing as a therapeutic hobby I think it is good for me in small doses. There are a lot of other things I'd like to write about but so far I'm not ready to commit those thoughts to the eyes of people who don't know me so for now I'll sign off.