Acutally both existing stealth planes the F-117A and the B-2 are bombers. The upcoming F-22 will be an air-superiority fighter.

The reason these things are so ugly (specially the F-117A) is / was the lack of computing power when it was designed. The knowledge on how to design stealth planes has been around quite some time (... to-do : find out original mathematicians name) but the computing power to actually implement it, hasn't.

The trick is to have no surface of the airplane directly reflect radar-energy back to the transmitting radar (who would see a radar-return) but to deflect it in other directions. The more modern B-2 bomber was designed with more computing power at hand. Therefore the designers were able to use all curved surfaces instead of the straight edges used on the F-117A and the F-22.

Also, radar-absorbing materials are used as coating for the planes.

Talking about undergunned: The F-117A is only able to carry two LGB and has no other defensive or offensive weapons (like a gun or Air-to-air missiles on board).

Also the stealth planes are not invisible as seen in the 1999 Kosovo conflict, when one was shot down. During the Gulf war the F-117A only went out on night-sorties so that the enemy wouldn't be able to spot them.