There’s this funny game I’ve been playing as I ascend through the ranks on E2. Something that I call “looking up and down” that I am sure I’m not alone at doing. Every morning when I get to work and log in I scroll down to that my username is the lowest entry on the screen. Then I see what literary giants are visible at the top of the list. On select mornings, if I get to work early enough, I can see all the way to the top of the list. I see all the names with the dollar signs beside, and dream of one day being king of the hill.

I am an XP whore. I know.

I then scroll down so that the bottom of the users listing is at the bottom of my browser window. I look to see if my name still appears down there. On some evenings, when there’s a multitude of other happy noders online, I cannot see it. It fills me with jubilation to know that I’m no longer a “newbie”, and that I am making my way through the listing.

I am an XP whore. I know

I understand the concepts of E2. I know that quality overshadows quantity, and in that I relish every time I add something meaningful to the nodegel. I know that fundamentally E2 is a database, and that what I add is forever being immortalized within. I lament on thoughts that someday someone will happen across my write ups, when I’m long dead in the ground, and wonder what my life must have been like. Mostly though, I sit and fantasize about having a four-digit XP value. About having a picture on my homenode.

I am an XP whore. I know