The problem

It will come as no surprise to you that people in the record industry have to make a living, just like the rest of us. To make a good living at that, one had best obey the common laws of free trade. This is why A&R people of major record companies try to sign artists that appeal to the average person. As a matter of fact, this lowest common denominator policy caused theirs to become the major record companies in the first place.

By itself, this is nothing to worry about, but ask yourself: how do you fit in this picture? You are not the average person. Nobody actually is the average person. How are you to find out about the records that were made by and for people like yourself, since the record companies that release those don't have the money to tell you about them?

The solution

Although it is nearly impossible to agree upon an objective criterion for the quality of music, it is often very well possible to make a case for the uniqueness of a record. Some records display certain musical ideas that set them apart from all the rest. Some records defy classification.

This node aims to catalogue those records. All of them. By their very nature, these records cannot be organized by genre. Some of these records were the beginnings of a genre. Others are singularities on the boundaries of genres. Through this node, they can all be available to anyone with an adventurous mind. Just pick a title you don't know and blow your mind.

N.B. There can be no guarantee you will like all or any of these records. However, if you feel they do not add significantly to what you already knew about music, go right ahead and downvote this!

Policy

For your favorite record to be added here it is not enough for it to just be very good! In fact, it doesn't matter if it is good or not. That is subjective anyway. This is not a collection of everyone's favorite records by X unknown artist. It is merely an attempt at collecting records that have changed the face of music on any level. Therefore, the record needs to be unique; unlike any other. It doesn't have to be underground, it doesn't have to be great, it needs to be unique! Further, I will limit contributions to one album per artist. The rationale here is that, once you have found out about an artist, you should be able to find the rest of their work on your own. Some of the records here might have you wonder as to why they are here. Feel free to msg me if you want to know.

How to contribute

Your contribution to this node is vital, since no one person can know every original record that was ever released. To prevent this thing from going all GTKY, this node is locked and you'll have to take these two simple steps to get a record added:

  1. Node it. Obey the E2 Lyrics Noding Standard like there is no tomorrow! Stay especially void of any subjective opinions. Don't even mention how great the record is, just explain in some detail what sets it apart from everything else. Hardlink back here.
  2. Msg me about your node. We will work out the rest.

Have fun!

The Music

0-9

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z


Note: If you have trouble finding some of the above records, msg me and I will set you on your way.