One fan of this practice says "the word becomes feral...reduced to its essential nature, without any mental meaning."1 The word becomes nonsense, like a word you just made up.

In keeping with the idea that "[a]ny word in any fucking lexicon will start to sound funny if you repeat it aloud enough times," this also works with your name. I don't recommend that just anyone try it, because it may trigger a severe state of self-disassociation, which may not be good for some people. I mean, what if your name, the one you've had for $age years and become so attached to, meant nothing more than "fnord" all of a sudden? It's a bit unsettling. However, realizing that your name doesn't really mean anything is an interesting Zen-like experience.

Note: a similar experience to the above can be achieved by traveling somewhere where no one knows you, and going by a completely different name. After a few days of not responding to people when they call you by your new name, your old/original name becomes separate from you — like you actually became a new person. Weird.

after a while after staring at it or any other word, it loses its meaning. after minutes of repeating the same word over and over, you start to forget that "jeep" is an automobile designed to go over rocky terrain and look cool and pick up hott [sic] chicks, but hear only the grunts of your ancestors telling each other to "shut the hell up there are sabertooth tigers nearby." after staring at your name, the words that make up your identity, you start to forget what they tell you in grammar school. that you are special, that there is no one like yourself, and start to see yourself as an unidentified person in an unidentified community on an unidentified country on an incredibly small planet that, nomatter [sic] how much youd [sic] like to think so, is not the center of the universe.2

eponymous points out that the repetition of words is an important part of J. D. Salinger's Frannie and Zooey (the Jesus Prayer), and notes that it ends with her repeating her name. I haven't read the book, but now I'm gonna.

If you're really trying to throw your brain for a loop, repeat your name many times while in a state of your favorite type of intoxication. (If you're in the market for an extreme mindfuck, I recommend DXM.)

Finally, I'm sorry to report that this doesn't work if you type something enough times. I typed "feral" fifty fucking times and it still means "wild" to me. However, my fingers started mistyping it nearly every time — perhaps that's the body's way of losing the context of a motion...?


1: Afloat in Mom's Ocean: http://www.oddsbodkin.com/articles/Mom's_Ocean.html
2: the noise that seems to fascinate them: http://www.suresotoo.blogspot.com/