Actually, your keyboard's Windows key acts like the command key on the Macintosh platform, if you plug a PC USB Keyboard (like an Internet Natural Keyboard, or what not). If you have Intellitype available (you should be able to download it from the Microsoft Macintosh website), it allows you to switch the alt key and the command key (so that people who are used to the position of the command key do not have to re-learn it for the keyboard, which is naturally switched.

The Windows Key (along with the Application Key) was designed for power users (and unfortunately not gamers) in mind. It allows you to nail a bunch of fast keyboard shortcuts to make your life easier, without having to go to the mouse. Along with ALT for the menus and control for options, you can navigate all of windows without having to use a mouse. This is an very important usability feature (or if your mouse suddenly bites it like mine has several times).

To make a gamer's life easier, there are several programs (for windows 9x only), that capture and ignore that keystroke, if you do not want to break out Kernel Toys, and the keyboard remapper. If in Windows 2000 you want to make your keyboard act as a normal board in your config.nt file, place the following line:

switches=/k

That should force the standard driver to ignore those enhanced signals.