Since both of you two seem to be at least partially serious
(and you seem to be, otherwise you wouldn't have wasted edev
's time with this), I'll nibble on the potential troll
actually write a response
. Keep in mind, I don't mean this personally
This is the dumbest
and most destructive
thing I have heard thus far in my short stay here. Hands down, this wins. Numerous reasons:
- Currently E2 is for the good of the database, and the good of the community.: Besides the momentary high people get from getting upvotes, or going up a level, or changing their homenode pic, everything we do here is for the good of the database. People help each other, we chat, learn more about people, improve our writing, read some marvelous pieces by amazing authors, and have a great time. There is no connection with money, or selling, or profit or whatever. If you want to make some cash, try ebay, or selling your Everquest items. We here are writers, geeks, and the like, and the hint that anyone may be doing this for money makes my stomach turn.
- Money hungry people are not the crowd I want here: If I could think of a reason to quit E2, that would be it. I don't want anyone making any money off of the power to spot and reward quality. That is what cools and upvotes are all about. We hold ourselves to the integrity of our actions here, and there isn't a lot to be said for a person who sells their integrity. There is an old phrase I was told to live by... Honor Begets Honor. People who ching and reward greatness inspire people to become great. It works that way.
- This isn't the collection plate at church, there isn't any guilt here: There are many ways to contribute to this community, without your wallet. If you wish to monitarily contribute, it should be anonymously, and for the good of the website that you love to read. That's it. People shouldn't get recognition, they should get the joy of knowing that you helped out a few people doing some really awesome work, and sharing with the community.
- Klaproth and EDB: Don't shoot the messengers: You want to spend less time in EDB's tummy? Then please, don't be an asshole in the catbox. Nothing comes of that. No one who throws those kinds of flames and belongs in EDB, despite a few jokers and troublemakers, would pay to reduce their sentence. Those people are on the bench for a reason. Let them take their cold shower before coming to play with the rest of the kids. And Klaproth says: You've messed up... Try it again, perhaps? A lot of things don't meet the bar. Write better, get some help, do something. Paying off the hitman won't spare you.
- The people who care about their writeups put time into them. The rep system more or less works. Over time, it works even better. Funny jokes people don't get any more go away. Great factuals, wonderful stories, and human insights will last forever. Your writeup on snot will see the cutting room floor, before anything else, if it can't stand up on it's merits. Reputation says people like your stuff. Random downvoters and other people out to get you can't take that away from you long term. That's the way it is.
Let's keep money out of everything
. I feel I've earned my place on the pyramid
, and I look up with admiration
on people who are above me: the gods
, the writers
, and the people that make this my favorite
place to be. Maybe I've said too much, but I can't tell you how much this idea truly hurts
, if you are being serious. There is an honesty
and a truth
I've found in here, and maybe you haven't found it yet. I'd suggest you keep looking...
Or maybe I'm stomping at ants.