One of the subtleties I enjoy in this wonderful novel is the fact that protagonist Eugene Henderson was modeled after Ernest Hemingway. Bellow uses Henderson not only to satirize Hemingway's machoism, but also to show that his egoistic way of life is not a satisfying way to live.

Henderson has a shooting range in his basement, raises animals, carries a .357 Magnum, is interested in Africa, participated in an overseas battle in World War II, abuses alcohol, enjoys physical activity (such as chopping wood and smashing stone), and is a millionare. With his initials "E.H." and the striking similarities between the lifestyles of the two, I suppose it is not such a subtle comparison (if the reader is familiar with Hemingway).

At the same time, Henderson is a walking paradox. He is unsatisfied with the life his brutishness affords him, plays the violin, and realizes that selfishness, strength, and stereotypically male activities cannot stop the voice that says "I want!, I want!, I want!"

His compulsive destroying of the frogs in the cistern of Itelo's tribe and his subsequent banishment exemplifies Bellow's belief that only peace, nobility, and good deeds can satisfy man. Only after relaxing under the pristine stars of Africa and attempting to be more like the wise Dahfu does Eugene Henderson reach self actualization. This is Bellow's message: machoism, strength, and selfishness are not viable ways of reaching one's full potential.