Scum of the Earth is a church in Denver, Colorado founded by Resee Roper (of the popular Christian Ska band Five Iron Frenzy) and Pastor Mike Sares. The goal of the church is to reach people outcast by society—punks, skaters, ravers, homeless people, etc. They chose the name because many of the people they're trying to reach can identify with it, and also to show that they don't think they're better than everyone else.

Their mission statement is "to be a church who: seeks intimacy with God and honest relationships with others, cultivates creativity and uses everyone’s gifts, asks questions while seeking Truth, recognizes our need for a Savior, passionately yet respectfully shares the saving love of Christ, and demonstrates God’s love in our community."

They meet Sunday nights @ 6:30 at the Tollgate (4200 E. Colfax Avenue, downtown Denver) and their website is at http://www.scumoftheearth.net

Mike sends out weekly devotionals by e-mail called eDevotions, which you can subscribe to by e-mailing him at Perikatharmata(REMOVETHIS)@aol.com. (The "(REMOVETHIS)" is not part of the e-mail address, it's just there to fool spam bots. To e-mail him, just remove it, including the parenthesis.)


"To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world."
(1 Corinthians 4:11-13)