• In windows 9x/ME:
  • Note: you need some experience with command.com (command prompt,cmd.exe)
    • Open the command prompt. cd to the directory above the one you want to hide. Assuming you want to hide your "pr0n" folder, type "rename pr0n pr0n" but don't hit enter. On your number pad, hit ALT-255. Now hit enter.
    • When the folder is shown in explorer, it will seem to have an underscore after the name. It's really the alt+255 non-printing character. If you click on it, you'll get an error: The file or folder does not exist.
    • It's really simple to set it back - "rename pr0n(alt-255) pr0n".
    • It's better than setting the Hidden bit, since any fool can open the folder with the Show hidden files and folders view option.
  • In 2k/XP
    • If you're the only Admin on your system, you can add an Access List, and add Everyone to it.
    • Deny them All Permissions.
    • This doesn't work if you have another admin, because they can just remove that entry.
  • In Mac OS 9
    • Get and open ResEdit, then go to File->Get File or Folder Info, and check the Invisible bit. Hide ResEdit on a floppy.
    • Caveat: Anyone with Word can hold down Shift and go to file->Open, then navgiate to your "hidden" folder and open it.
  • In Linux/Unix
    • With most unixes, you can hide a file from casual/idiot views by renaming it with a "." at the beginning ('mv pr0n .pr0n").
    • Caveats: root can always go and cd into it. Also, anyone with +x permission on the directory can 'ls -a' to show it.
    • Another idea is to chmod 700 directory, ensuring only you and root can cd into it.