Now a Van de Graaff is a wonderful thing, but even better, you can make your own. It's easy and allows you to play with tools.

DISCLAIMER: Please don't put your VDG next to a computer, and use common sense. Your VDG can make huge voltages, but the current should be very low. When in doubt, ask someone who knows what he's doing (a category to which I do not belong).

The basic concept is that you have a base and a top with a moving belt between them. The base and the top are made of particular materials chosen for their place in the triboelectric series and shininess. There is some sort of non-conducting belt moving between the base and the top, and there is some contact between the belt and the end pieces. This makes a static charge through a process called something I can't describe very well and of which I'm hazy on the details.

Practically, you'll want to have some sort of non-conducting rod seperating the two pieces. Try PVC. Now down to business. Let's have some ingredients.

  • Note: all materials are listed in descending order of preference.
  • One top sphere, ~9-18"d: Try aluminum or steel. If you could use lead glass or lead that would work wonderfully.
  • One lower terminal, ~9-18"d: a sphere, hemisphere, or whatever made from teflon, silicon (how'd you get a sphere of that?), vinyl, or polypropylene.
  • One belt, you figure out the dimensions: something non-conductive. Surgical tubing is good. You may want to try an old vacuum cleaner belt if it has high enough resistance (most don't).
  • One motor: just something to drive the belt. You will probably run off AC, so get whatever additional supplies you need to make the motor run. Faster motors are better.
  • One upper axle: Try a nylon paint roller.
  • One lower axle: PVC is your friend.
  • Two conductive brushes: Just use a whole bunch of very fine copper wire.
  • One shaft, 2.5+' length: Something non-conductive that will enclose the belt. Don't use wood, as it will become conductive at high voltages.

You now have all the materials. You should attach the top and bottom terminals to the shaft. Attach the axles to their respective terminal, and make sure they have a good connection, both mechanically and electrically. Install the motor such that it drives the axles (of course). The motor should be electrically separate from the generator itself. Attach a brush to each terminal. The brushes should almost touch the belt and should, electrically, be part of their respective terminals.

Turn it on and play with electrons.