Heinous in Germany - 14 Jan 2001

On Sunday, I embarked on a lovely adventure to Bamberg. Fortunately, Marc had lent me his watch, as there are no clocks whatsoever in the company flat. It is like being in a weird time warp, where you can only estimate the time based on the position of the sun, or the moon. I was afraid I was reading the watch incorrectly at first, and that I was an hour late, but I finally I heard the bells from the church, and realized that it was not too late to meet Michael at the train station.

I met Michael, and then we went on to Bamberg. We had a really good time in Bamberg. We walked around for a while,trying to find the center of the city. Apparently Michael does not take the train that often (to Bamberg), and didn't realize how far the station was from the city center. We had a nice "authentic" Bavarian lunch at a very dark restaurant. The bier was quite nice, though I must say that I am beginning to grow tired of Schwien. They are very worried at the moment about Mad Cow's disease, and most food that is normally made with beef is being made with pork now. After lunch, we went to see the cathredral. It was very nice, and had an exceptionally nice looking organ. We took a lot of pictures there. Then, we wandered around for a while in the back of the church. I saw a door that was open, and wanted to go through it. Michael protested that we probably should not , but I convinced him to go anyway.

We spent a lot of time sneaking through nice people's back yards. The first area was a nice old garden, and we tried to exit to a public walkway in the back, but it had a fence with barbed wire (thanks to good 'ole Decalb, Illinoise). I would have climed it normally, but I had a skirt on at the time. We found a shorter fence to the side and I climbed over that. We were in an even more private back yard, that didn't appear to have any kind of unlocked exit. We saw a nice bunny rabbit in a hutch and fed it some stuff in exchange for it letting us take pictures of it. We ended up exiting the way we came in.

We went around to the walkway we had been trying to get to, and found a nice playground. We had a lot of fun on the swing-set, and the see-saw, in particular. I hadn't been to a playground in quite some time, and had a really good time.

After this, it was pretty cold, so we went walking back through town to find the Irish pub that I wanted to go to. It was nice to go somewhere where I could get away with ordering in English, even if the pub wasn't really all that Irish. They did have Guinness, served out of a proper nitrogen tap, and that made me quite happy. The game between the Giants and Minnesota was on the telivision, and I attempted to explain the rules of football to Michael. Hopefully I didn't just confuse him more. After a couple hours there, we finally left and came back.

After Michael left the train, they announced something in German on the train, that seemed to indicate that I needed to change trains to get back to Nuremberg. So I did. Luckily, it all worked out okay, and I ended up safe and sound in Nuremberg without incident.