Ipecac is the name of a record label set up by Greg Werckman (formerly of Alternative Tentacles) and, alternative metal, legend Mike Patton in 1999. The label focus on releasing an eclectic mix of records. Their mission statement is to be an honest, artist friendly record label run on a shoe string budget and with no huge production or promotion costs.

Because of the freedom of this label bands are able to release albums that are more 'quirky' and which they are unable to release on other record labels.

Mike Patton himself has released a few of his quirky numbers on Ipecac. His experimental metal outfit Fantômas fits very well on this label. As do his other side projects, Maldoror and Tomahawk. The former is a colaboration between Mike Patton and Merzbow and is an extremely experimental delve into music and noize-core, while the latter is a more structured outing in the vein of Patton's former band Faith No More, albeit a little more eclectic.

The Melvins have a huge catalogue on Ipecac recordings including the Melvins/Fantômas joint, live album.

Other artists include:

  • Dälek :-A kind of Hip-Hop outfit.
  • Isis :-Probably the most well known band on the label.
  • Kaada :-Pop, breakbeat type affair.
  • Moistboyz :-Rock n' Roll.
  • Phantomsmasher :-Experimental.
  • Pink Anvil :-Includes members of Ministry.
  • Ruins :- "monster-progressive-hard core-avant-rock band of wonder" as it says on the website.
  • Sensational :- hip-hop
  • Skeleton Key :- Rock with a pop 'tic'
  • Steroid Maximus :-Messed up.
  • The Kids of Widney High
  • The Lucky Stars :-raucous good time dance music
  • The Young Gods :-new-wave-industrial type
  • It appears that the raison d'etre of this label is summed up in this one sentence of the website;-

    "Like the medicine it's named after, Ipecac Recordings is here to purge you of the drek that's been rotting in your tummies"

    If your sick with some of the crap music out there at the moment, don't whinge about it, go and check out Ipecac