The brothers worked on harmonies and vocal-based songs. They were: Don (born Isaac Donald Everly, 1st February, 1937, Brownie, Kentucky) and Phil (born 19 Jan 1939, Chicago, Illiois)

After having an unsuccessful recording debut with Columbia in early 1956, Don and Phil Everly were signed by the New York label Cadence where they recorded a song by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. A track rejected by several other artists, 'Bye Bye Love' became a Top 10 hit in both the US and UK. With acoustic guitars over a Rock 'n' Roll beat, their vocal style was to become an Everly brothers trademark and influence Paul McCartney and Graham Nash among others.

Their first US chart-topper came in 1957, with 'Wake Up Little Susie'. '(All I Have To Do Is) Dream', their first UK No 1, released in 1958, was followed with a run of hits including 'Bird Dog' (1958), 'Problems' (1959) and '('Til) I Kissed You' (1959). Recorded in New York in 1959, their first record to be recorded outside of Nashville was 'Let It Be Me'. Next came their biggest selling single, 'Cathy's Clown'(1960), selling over 3 million copies worldwide and a No 1 in both the US and UK, where it stayed for 8 weeks.

The Everly Brothers' albums followed the same style. It's Everly Time! (1960), The Fabulous Style Of The Everly Brothers (1960) and A Date With The Everly Brothers (1961) were hits on both sides of the Atlantic, but Instant Party (1962) was their last hit album for eight years.

They broke up in 1973 due to personal problems. The success of a compilation, Walk Right Back With The Everlys (1975), and solo projects renewed interest in their music. They put their differences behind them in 1983 and played a reunion concert: on 23 September at the Royal Albert Hall. The filmed and recorded show was a great success.

They are still a big concert draw all over the world, and now record and tour regularly.

Source: Ike's Boys- Story Of The Everly Brothers