Nearly all milk consumed these days is pasteurised. This quick industrial heat treatment kills any nasty bugs that might be lurking in the milk.

However many people, particularly no-nonsense rural types, prefer to drink untreated milk "straight from the cow". Without pasteurisation, milk tastes better and retains more vitamins and nutrients. There is also evidence that the anti-infection comparison is much less clear than commonly thought.1

These ideas seem to enrage many health bureaucrats who consider untreated milk to be highly poisonous. It is banned in Scotland, Australia, Canada and some American states. In England and Wales, it may only be sold in farm shops and local milk round deliveries, where is also known as "Green Top"2 There was another attempt to ban it here in 1997, but that seems to have run out of steam.

Unpasteurised milk is also important for the production of quality cheeses. Apart from the effect on chemical composition, heat treatment will kill living organisms that create subtle flavours.


1 - The Case for Untreated Milk, DR. B. M. PICKARD, Department of Animal Physiology and Nutrition, University of Leeds, Published by The Soil Association.
2 - A green-topped plastic carton from a shop will contain pasteurised semi-skimmed milk. A glass bottle with a green aluminium foil top will contain the real thing.