The ebola virus is one of the most feared diseases in the entire world. It belongs to a family of negative-stranded RNA viruses known as Filoviridae. This virus has presented numerous challenges to the medical and scientific communities, because it is very difficult to study live specimens. It is extremely hard to treat as it is unclear how it originates, and they haven't many ideas as to what an effective treatment would be. (Research is on-going, of course.) There are several strains, three which can have a human host, one that is strictly found in animals, and others that haven't been pin-pointed yet. Primates seem to be a likely suspect, as far as the origin goes.

There haven't been any cases documented in the U.S. or Canada, aside from an incident where a group of monkeys infected with a strain of ebola were shipped from Europe to the United States. This isolated incident didn't lead to any human infections, but it still seems pretty frightening that it happened at all. (Note: Apparently, there was a human infection. My apologies - reasearch I had conducted at the time this node was written did not indicate that was the case.) Places ebola outbreaks have occurred include: Zaire, the Tai Forest, Sudan, Reston, and in some other isolated communities in Africa. It is suspected that this can be partly contributed to living conditions, and the high population of primates.

The patient generally dies within a two week period after contracting ebola, and the cause of death is normally attributed to extreme loss of blood, dehydration, and quite often, shock. The only semi-sucessful treatments have included injecting the person with the blood from someone who has recovered from ebola, in addition to repeated blood transfusions to combat blood loss as well as continuous rehydration. All of the treatments have had mixed results, so it is unclear as to their effectiveness. The main areas targetted by the disease are the liver, kidneys, spleen, and basically all of the major internal organs.

The disease is so highly contagious, inflicted persons must be kept in isolation. The disease is spread mainly through bodily fluids, but research and experience in affected areas indicate the disease may very well be airborne.

What I'm saying here is, pray that you never get this, or you'll just be, well, totally f#@$ed.