Avalanche, this is the title of the first solo release by Canadian musician Matthew Good.

Before I bother to say much of anything about this particular album, I will tell you why it is important. Matthew Good has in the past presented his work with a group called the Matthew Good Band. Often confused with the Dave Matthews Band for reasons I've yet to figure out, the group seemed to have differing opinions on what the music should sound like. This was difficult for Matt who often felt the end product strayed too far from his original ideas. For this and other reasons, the vast majority of music they created was heavy on rock (not always Matt's preference), filled with dark humor and in some cases, a lot of anger and despair. Now, do not mistake what I've just said as a criticism. The group put out music that made me feel like I could not even hope to feel through any other means. They rocked, the music is and was always phenomenal.

Some time during the recording of the Matthew Good Band's last release, The Audio of Being, the group split over what might as well be called creative differences. This was some time in 2001, and now, in 2003 Matt has gone out on his own, with a new group of people who appreciate his artistic vision. Despite their presence and contribution, this is very much his art, now.

What they have created is Avalanche. An album heavy on melodic string pieces, honest, mature lyrics and the feeling that Matthew Good is a much happier man for the parting of his old band and the opportunity to make the music that he has always wanted to. It is absolutely beautiful.

matthew good vocals, guitars, piano, keyboards, percussion.
patrick steward drums, percussion.
richard priske bass, additional keyboards.
christian thor valdson is credited with additional guitar on lullaby for a new world order.

All strings were written & arranged by Matthew Good and Warne Livesy and performed by the strings of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.

Release Date: March 4th, 2003 on Universal Music (www.umusic.ca).
  1. pledge of allegiance
  2. lullaby for the new world order
  3. weapon*
  4. in a world called catastrophe**
  5. avalanche
  6. 21st century living
  7. while we were hunting rabbits
  8. bright end of nowhere
  9. near fantastica***
  10. song for the girl
  11. double life
  12. a long way down
  13. house of smoke & mirrors
* first single, ** second single, *** third single.
Weapon was also released on a Much Music comp. disc called Big Shiny Tunes 7 a few months prior to the album's release.

There are few artists with as much integrity as this man. What he has and will do for the Canadian music scene, and, most likely people in general is nothing short of amazing. This album is a perfect representation of everything that he has to offer. You're it.

Visit Matt's site: www.matthewgood.net and the unofficial site for Matthew Good fans and canadian artists in general, www.nationofcool.com. They're doing really cool things there. (Like creating a forum for aspiring canadian artists to display their work. Seriously, it's a really cool thing.)

And because it is something Matthew spends a lot of time promoting, I'll suggest a visit to www.amnesty.ca. They are doing very good things, too.