You're capable of hate!

 Over the past 24 hours, I have met, dealt with, and grown to distain a fellow for the first time in ages.  I'd missed this emotion. 

 So here's the story.  Sean knows this guy named Lyle.  Lyle is, unfortunately, convinced that Sean is his best friend.  In reality, Sean hates this kid with a passion, but sort of enjoys having this guy around as a lapdog.  And he's amusing until an hour goes by.

 But he's a classical rambler.  The sort who craves attention, but never figured out how to actually get it.  It was sad, thinking about it, until I realized that it was just uproariously annoying.  It's reminicent of watching an idiot try to do, well, nearly anything.  When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

 Unfortunately, this sort of emptiness is rather grating on my sensibilities.  I can't fathom how someone can be so remarkably obtuse and unperceptive.

 Sean is into BDSM with his girlfriend, Jessica.  They have numerous accoutrements lining the walls of the bedroom they share.  Lyle is completely oblivious.  They keep a copy of Different Loving in the bathroom.  Nary a remark is made.  This isn't just a "oh, it's not polite to mention it" deal, either -- that's understandable.  Instead, even when we specifically bring it up, there's silence, and a familiar look of mild confusion on his face.  It's really the only emotion I've seen come out of him.

 He's apparently quite inept.  He's currently struggling with writing a simple program for substitution cyphers.  This would be fine, in many circumstances.  But he happens to be graduating with a degree in computer science in the coming year, well convinced of his abilities.  Sean has promised to snag a copy of the code he's got for me to peruse and be amused by later.

 I really haven't genuinely despised someone like this in quite some time.  I may not like the emotion of such utter hate, but it is nice to know I am capable of it.  It also helps that I'm now with a group of friends with whom I can discuss such things, who I can feel comfortable talking to about this not-quite-PC emotion.

 It also helps that I'm at work for 8 hours tonight and am spared his company.