An artificial island in the middle of San Francisco Bay. It measures about 1 mile long by 1/2 mile wide and is connected by a small causeway to the naturally-formed Yerba Buena Island which is in turn connected by the Bay Bridge to the mainland. For discussion of physical characteristics, the two island are considered separate but for purposes of social characteristics they are generally spoken of together.

Originally built in the late 1930s as the location of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition, it was planned that the flat island would be used as an airport. But WWII intervened and the island came to be used as a US Navy base for the next fifty years.

With the end of the Cold War in the early 1990s, many military bases were closed as part of an overall reduction in US armed forces. Although a part of the city of San Francisco, the land itself is still leased by the City from the US Navy.

After a good deal of retrofitting, many buildings on the island have been turned over to civilian use. There are currently around 2000 permanent residents, comprised of youths in the Treasure Island Job Corps Culinary Institute, formerly homeless folks in the Treasure Island Homeless Development Initiative, former drug addicts in the Delancy Street program, and a good deal of market-rate renters, a group which vaguely tends toward 20- and 30-something dot-commies, city employees, and art school students. Market-rate renters are greatest in number and political power, though by no means overwhelmingly so.

Life on the island is overall quite pleasant. The westward view, encompassing the city of San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, Marin, Alcatraz, and Angel Island, is perhaps the most beautiful urban view in America. Crime is extremely low and limited almost exclusively to minor graffiti. The physical isolation from the mainland has engendered a strong sense of neighborhood community which adds to the pleasant atmosphere. Housing other than Job Corps is former military family housing, so it is plain but serviceable.

Current issues for island residents include high-speed internet access (DSL {aside from IDSL} and cable modem are not currently viable options), improved bus service (there is one bus with a limited schedule that services the island), the rude behavior of some Job Corps students while on the bus, and the lack of any convenience stores.

Treasure island has recently attracted some media attention with the Treasure Island Experiment, to be found at www.tiexp.com. A major online resource for island residents is to be found at www.94130.net.