The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Seven
A GAPING WOUND IN THE HEAD PENETRATING TO THE BONE AND PERFORATING THE SUTURES

TITLE: Instructions concerning a gaping wound in his head penetrating to the bone (and) perforating the sutures of his skull.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a gaping wound in his head, penetrating to the bone, (and) perforating his skull, thou shouldst palpate his wound, (although) he shudders exceedingly. Thou shouldst cause him to lift; if it is painful for him to open his mouth, (and) his heart beats feebly; if thou observe his spittle hanging at his two lips and not falling off , while he discharges blood from both his nostrils (and) from both his ears; he suffers with stiffness in his neck, (and) is unable to look at his two shoulders and his breast.

FIRST DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say regarding him: "One having a gaping wound in his head, penetrating to the bone, (and) perforating the sutures of his skull; the cord of his mandible is contracted; he discharges blood from both his nostrils (and) from both his ears, while he suffers with stiffness in his neck. An ailment with which I will contend."

FIRST TREATMENT: Now as soon as thou findest that the cord of that man's mandible, his jaw, is contracted thou shouldst have made for him something hot until he is comfortable, so that his mouth opens. Thou shouldst bind it with grease, honey, (and) lint, until thou knowest that he has reached a decisive point.

SECOND EXAMINATION: If then, thou findest that the flesh of that man has developed fever from wound which is in the sutures of his skull, while that man has developed ty' from that wound, thou shouldst lay hand upon him. Shouldst find his countenance is clammy with sweat, the ligaments his neck are tense, his face ruddy, his teeth and his back, the odor of the chest of his head is like the BKN (urine) of sheep, his mouth is bound, (and) both his eyebrows are drawn, while his face is as if he wept.

SECOND DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say regarding him: "One having a gaping wound in his head penetrating to the bone, perforating the sutures of his skull; he has developed ty', his mouth is bound, (and) he suffers with stiffness in his back. An ailment not to be treated?"

THIRD EXAMINATION: If, however, thou findest that that man has become pale and has already shown exhaustion.

THIRD TREATMENT: Thou shouldst have made for him a wooden brace with linen and put into his mouth. Thou shouldst have made for him a draught of w'h-fruit. His treatment is sitting, placed between two supports of brick, until thou knowest he has reached a decisive point.

NOTE A: As for: "Perforating the sutures of his skull," it means what is between shell and shell of his skull; and that the sutures are (composed) of hide.

NOTE B: As for: "The cord of his mandible is contracted," it means a stiffening on the part of the ligament at the end of his ramus, which are fastened to his temporal bone, that is at the end of his jaw, without moving to and fro, so that it is not easy for him to open his mouth because of his pain.

NOTE C: As for: "The cord of his mandible," it means the ligaments which bind the end his jaw. as one says, "the cord" of a thing in (or as) a splint.

NOTE D: As for: "His countenance clammy with sweat," it means that his head is a little sweaty as (we say), "A thing is clammy."

NOTE E: As for: "The ligaments of his neck are tense" it means that the ligaments of his neck are stretched stiff by reason of his injury.

NOTE F: As for: "His face is ruddy", it means that the color of his face is red, like the color of ---------fruit.

NOTE G: As for: "The odor of the chest of his head is like the bkn of sheep," it means that the odor of his crown is like the urine of sheep.

NOTE H: AS for: "The chest of his head," it means the middle of his crown next to his brain. The likening of it is to a chest.

NOTE I: As for "His mouth is bound, (and) both his eyebrows are drawn, while his face is as if he wept." it means that he does not open his mouth that he may speak, both his eyebrows are distorted, one drawing upward the other drooping downward, like one who winks while. his face weeps.

NOTE J: As for: "He has become pale has already shown exhaustion, it means becoming pale, because he is (a case of) "Undertake him do not desert him," in view of the exhaustion.

case six
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case eight