The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Forty-One

AN INFECTED OR POSSIBLY NECROTIC WOUND IN THE BREAST

TITLE: Instructions concerning a diseased wound in his breast.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a diseased wound in his breast, while that wound is inflamed and a whirl of inflammation continually issues from the mouth of that wound at thy touch; the two lips of that wound are ruddy, while that man continues to be feverish from it; his flesh cannot receive a bandage, that wound cannot take a margin of skin; the granulation which is in the mouth of that wound is watery, their surface is not and secretions drop therefrom in an oily state.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a diseased wound in his breast, it being inflamed, (and) he continues to have fever from it. An ailment which I will treat."

TREATMENT: Thou shalt make for him cool applications for drawing out the inflammation from the mouth of the wound:

  • Leaves of willow
  • nbs'(?)-tree
  • ksnty(?)
  • Apply to it:

  • Leaves of ym'(?)-tree
  • dung
  • hny-t'(?)
  • ksnty(?)
Apply to it.

Thou shalt make for him applications for drying up the wound

a. Powder of greeh pigment

Triturate; bind upon it.

Triturate; bind upon it.

Thou salt make for him poultices:

  • Red spnn(?)
  • garden tongue
  • d'r.t(?)
  • sycamore leaves
Bind upon it.

If the like befalls in any member, thou shalt treat him according to these instructions.

NOTE A: As for: "A diseased wound in his breast, inflamed," it means that the wound which is in his break is sluggish, without closing up; high fever comes froth from it, its two are red, (and) its mouth is open. The "Treatise on what pertains to a wound" says concerning it: "It means that there is very great swelling; (and) inflamed' is said concerning the height" (of the fever).

NOTE B: As for: "A whirl of inflammation in his wound," it means a whirl of inflammation which circulates thorough the interior of his entire wound.

NOTE C: As for: "Its two lie are ruddy," it means that its two lips are red like the color of the tms'(?)-tree.

NOTE D: As for: "His flesh cannot receive a bandage," it means that his flesh will not receive the remedies because of the inflammation which is in his flesh.

NOTE E: As for: "While heat continually issues (new) from the mouth of his wound at thy touch; (it means) that heat comes froth from his wound at thy touch; as it is said that a thing which has come forth entirely, has issued --------.

case forty
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case forty-two