The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Five
A GAPING WOUND IN THE HEAD WITH COMPOUND COMMINUTED FRACTURE OF THE SKULL

TITLE: Instructions concerning a gaping wound in his head, smashing his skull.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a gaping wound in his head, penetrating to the bone, (and) smashing his skull; thou shouldst palpate his wound. Shouldst thou find that smash is in his skull deep (and) sunken under the fingers, while the swelling which is over it protrudes he discharges blood from both his nostrils (and) both his ears, (and) he suffers with stiffness in his neck, so that he is unable to look at his two shoulders and his breast.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say regarding him: "One having a gaping wound in his head, penetrating to the bone, (and) smashing his skull; while he suffers with stiffness in his neck. An ailment not to be treated."

TREATMENT: Thou shalt not bind him, (but) moor (him) at his mooring stakes, until the period of his injury passes by.

NOTE A: As for: "Smashing his skull", it means a smash of his skull, (such that) bones, getting into that smash, sink into interior of his skull. The "Treatise on what pertains to His wounds" states: "It means a smash of his skull into numerous fragments, which sink into the interior of his skull."

case four
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case six