The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Eleven
A BROKEN NOSE

TITLE: Instructions concerning a break in the column of his nose.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a break in the column of his nose, his nose being disfigured, and a depression being in it, while the swelling that is on it protrudes, (and) he has discharged blood from both his nostrils.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a break in the column of his nose, An ailment which I will treat ."

TREATMENT: Thou shouldst cleanse (it) for him two plugs of linen Thou shouldst place two (other) plugs of linen saturated with grease in the inside of his two nostrils. Thou shouldst put him at his mooring stakes until the swelling is reduced (literally: drawn out). Thou shouldst apply for him stiff rolls of linen by which his nose is held fast. Thou shouldst treat him afterward with grease, honey, (and) lint, every day until he recovers.

NOTE A: As for: "The column of his nose." it means the outer edge of his nose as far as its side (s) on the top of his nose, being the inside of his nose in the middle of his two nostrils.

NOTE B: As for: "His two nostrils," it means the two sides of his nose extending to his two cheeks, as far as the back of his nose; the top of his nose is loosened.

case ten
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case twelve