Drawn in 2001 by Illiad for Seattle Lab Software, the IT Department of One animation personifies the daily struggle of underfunded IT staff everywhere.

This animation, along with the rest of the BVRP animation series, also clearly identifies the shortcomings of today's IT staff. Even if Illiad didn't intend it to. Usually a one-person (or sometimes "no person") department, the IT department must somehow cope with inferior software, outdated hardware, budget-cutting bean counters and shallow bosses to achieve their goal of keeping the company network up.

Note that I didn't mention the users, bless their souls, who make our jobs possible and ultimately worthwhile.

I'll be damned if I can find the original animation. However, one can start from User Friendly's news archive: http://ars.userfriendly.org/news/?id=1001909900


Virus attack imminent. Specialist on route. Over. *crackle*

I am an IT Department of One.
With premium technology, security software, and with lots of caffeine, I'm able to protect a company of four-hundred bumbling lusers.
Even though there are millions of geeks just like me, I am my own force. And I'll be the first to tell you, "the might of the IT Department doesn't lie in numbers, it lies in me."
I am an IT Department of One. And you can see my victories.