Things to do in Denver when you're not dead:

A MILE-HIGH Nodermeet

Howdy, pardner.

Saddle up and ride on down to Denver, Colorado, land of cowboys, gold, and prairie dog vacuums1 for the first ever Denver-area nodermeet. Denverites are known the world-over for their hospitality, and while that's a complete myth, we won't let our misanthropic tendencies get in the way of a good time.

Note: If you're coming from sea level, please be sure to bring your own oxygen. We don't have much up here and we wish to keep it for ourselves. Thank you.

Marvel as gitm plays chess against all challengers!

Be astonished as wordnerd fills your ears with arcane linguistics mumbo-jumbo!

Become amazed as (your name here) does (your thing here)!

Come one, come all!

When:   17:00 MDT Saturday, July 31, 2004

Where:  Stella's Coffee Haus 
        1476 S. Pearl St.
        Denver, CO 80212
        (303) 777-1031

Who:
        Confirmed:
         gitm
         wordnerd
         PositronicMoron
         Vevila
         DmanDave
         OldMiner
         RoyHoo33
        Unconfirmed:
        Confirmed Unavailable:
         Evil Catullus - Working
         toalight - No boat from Norway to Denver
         Nanosecond - Out of town

What:   Conversation, coffee, roping dogies.

Why:    Because we like you! M-O-U-S-E.


As per the usual protocol, msg me to RSVP.

P.S. The oil crash in the mid-to-late 80's drove almost all of the oil companies out, so you cannot meet the Carringtons. Sorry.


1 There are probably two actual cowboys left in the entire state, and all the gold is in bank vaults, but hey, we do have prairie dog vacuums!


THE AFTERMATH

There we sat, enbeverating ourselves--barely shaded from the intense Colorado sun. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters). Wordnerd and I were engaged in a game of chess, as the other adventurers trickled in.

"Anchors aweigh!" I shouted, as the others stared at me in silence.

"I mean, Hello," I whispered.

The early awkward period of any gathering of complete strangers is well-known to all who have engaged in such practice. Wordnerd filled the gaps with random outrageousness, which, fortunately, didn't scare everyone off. The "quiet awkward period" had one casualty: dmandave, who bowed out within thirty minutes to go to an seemingly invisible concert at a possibly non-existent venue.

For the rest of us, though, things eventually loosened up and everyone seemed to have a good time. That is, until the zombies landed in their sleek metallic ships.

That's not to say that the zombies managed to ruin the evening, as the ladies present, Vevila and Jaqqalax, produced shotguns and ran about the neighborhood re-killing the lot of them. After procuring several 1-UPs and an all-time high score, they returned to the table victorious, although where they found the latex catsuits is anyone's guess.

We then embarked on a discussion as to the nature of a robot hat. What exactly does a robot hat look like? What is its purpose? At about this point, RoyHoo33 began questioning the nature of seminal flavoring. Aristotle arrived suddenly in a puff of smoke and and hit him about the head and shoulders with a nerf bat before moving on. Aristotle's intervention aside, before it was over, we all knew far too much about pineapples.

We were just settling into a nice discussion about the various rankings of Jerkdom when the orcs arrived en masse. OldMiner and I stepped forward, drawing lightsabres and leaping into the fray. They could not withstand our Jedi powers and as a result were completely destroyed. When we returned to our table, though, we discovered that our victory was not without a cost. A small band of stealth orcs had apparently penetrated the front line and had mortally wounded Vevila. We poured coffee on the wound, but it was to no avail.

I summoned my mentally controlled helicopter and rifled through its cargo until I found my emergency scroll of cure critical wounds. After incanting various mystic phrases, all of which--to my dismay--were wiped from my mind instantly, Vevila had recovered enough to depart in one or two pieces.

Since we all had enough experience points for the next level, we decided to call it a night, and I flew my helicopter back to my secret volcano hideaway.

THE END