I can build a computer, fix a car or a ring mains wiring
system, am technically competent at techie things. But although
these are useful skills to have, the below are essential
life skills for women, and things that, in the main, are not
taught to girls:
- Self-defence. If they're physically able,
some form of martial art. If not, women's
self-defence classes. Basic self-defence techniques for
women can be learnt by almost anyone.
- How to fight back, verbally and physically:
standing up for themselves.
- Independence of thought: how to rely on
your own judgment, without feeling the constant need to
refer to others for advice.
- Independence of action: avoiding the 'ask
a man' syndrome.
- Assertion: how to state their needs,
opinions and preferences without aggression or feeling
like they need to apologise.
- The art of debate: ties in with the
above - how to hold your end up in an intellectual debate
and respect your own opinion, without being dogmatic or
over-emotional in the face of argument.
- The art of abstract conversation: how to
converse generally, without constantly turning the
conversation to relationships or feelings.
Yup, there are probably heaps more..