When conversing with cute college-age women, this is the equivalent of the a/s/l check made popular by lamers in IRC channels. It consists of three bits of information that can often serve as jumping-off points for conversation. They are, in order:

  • Year. We're talking about academic year, as in freshman, sophomore, fifth-year senior, grad student, et cetera. Meeting people of your year is cool, because you may have recently been through similar experiences like a new professor, orientation, or perhaps a very interesting one-time-only course. Meeting people of higher years can let you profit from their experience; perhaps they could warn you about a course you might want to take.
  • Major. I have been told not to date within my major, although I've seen happy intra-major and inter-major couples on campus. Sometimes, meeting someone of the same major is a good thing, since you can talk about homework and professors and all things geeky; sometimes, meeting someone of a different major is good, because you can gather information about that major for future reference.
  • Origin. Where you're from. Many universities like to boast about the diversity of their student body, such as how many Asian countries from which their students hail. I tend to meet a lot of people from places just far away enough from me that they're not next door, but close enough to visit from time to time.

Of course, I'm not the best one to be dispensing dating advice, given my horrible track record. However, YMMV.