The first broadcast TV show in the United States to feature a predominantly Asian cast, with comedienne Margaret Cho as the star, this sitcom debuted in 1994 on ABC. It did not survive past its first season, due to low ratings.

The sitcom was a take-off on Cho's own childhood, being set at a San Francisco bookstore owned by a Korean-American couple (Clyde Kusatsu and Jodi Long). The family lives above the bookstore. They experience normal American family-type things in a sitcom atmosphere, and the show was reasonably well done if unremarkable in presentation. That, in effect, was the problem. Asian-American viewers, presumably the key demographic, apparently fell into two categories: those fresh off the boat who wanted to watch shows in their native language, and those who had already assimilated into American culture and did not want to watch shows patronizing to their race. Perhaps if they had offered Korean audio on SAP, they might have enjoyed better ratings. Also, of 16 writers on the show, only one (Elizabeth Wong) has an even remotely Asian-sounding name. In the episodes that I saw (nearly all of them) there were very few references to Asian culture that were not simple stereotypes. Even Family Matters tackled racism in its many years on the air.

It should be noted that Cho had very high hopes for All-American Girl, and the failure of the show started a downward spiral into drugs, sex, and other sinful pursuits. Fortunately, she managed to channel all of that nastiness into a successful one-woman show and more stand-up comedy.