A means by which one partner takes control of another’s life through verbal abuse and threats, especially relating to travel and financial support (“you cannot go home unless I say.” “You cannot have money to buy X unless I say”) Emotional abuse can be just as dangerous as physical abuse as the abused, sensing that their life is no longer in their control, often turns to drugs, alcohol or self neglect to numb the constant misery.

It is extremely difficult for an emotionally abused person to ask for help because unlike a physically abused person he or she has no scars. It becomes easy for him or her to assume that “If I could only do better for my partner my life wouldn’t be this way. It’s my fault.”

Children may also be emotionally abused, though society has been far more willing to listen to their cries for help than the cries of adults.
Is it Emotional Abuse?
Do you feel that you can't discuss with your partner what is bothering you?
Does your partner frequently criticize you, humiliate you, or undermine your self-esteem?
Does your partner ridicule you for expressing yourself?
Does your partner isolate you from friends, family or groups?
Does your partner limit your access to work, money or material resources? 
Has your partner ever stolen from you?  Or run up debts for you to handle? 
Does your relationship swing back and forth between a lot of emotional distance and being very close? 
Have you ever felt obligated to have sex, just to avoid an argument about it?
Do you sometimes feel trapped in the relationship?
Has your partner ever thrown away your belongings, destroyed objects or threatened pets?
Are you afraid of your partner?


source for questions:
www.lilaclane.com/relationships/emotional-abuse/