Since 1975. (formerly the Yaoundé Convention) A convention to draft treaties held between the European Union and countries of Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific.

In their own words:
To promote the economic, social and cultural development of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) States and to establish close cooperation in a spirit of complete equality. To create a model for relations between developed States and developing countries with a view to a just and balanced world economic order.


Areas of cooperation include:
  1. The environment
  2. agricultural cooperation, food security and rural development, including measures to combat drought and desertification<.li>
  3. indebtedness and structural adjustment
  4. cooperation on commodities
  5. industrial development (manufacturing and processing) in conjunction with the development of undertakings
  6. mining and energy development
  7. the development of services, including tourism, transport, communications and data-processing
  8. trade development
  9. cultural and social cooperation
  10. regional cooperation.

The Lomé Convention is regarded as a protectionist organization by the World Trade Organization because of trade preference arrangements in the form of different tariff rates that differed not only from the MFN rates then available to GATT contracting parties but also the GSP rates that were available for other non-ACP developing countries. The WTO has been seeking ways to reduce the Lomé Convention's power. The GATT (the old version of the WTO) included a waiver for the Lomé Convention, however many of the WTO representatives have been making moves to have the waiver removed.