Bongathon

Honestly, this does not endorse the use of drugs, illicit or otherwise (really, I am NOT kidding). Drugs (cannabis, alcohol, nicotine, etc.) make one feel good. That's why people use drugs. Drugs exact a price. People I know have died using drugs, and because of drugs. That's a good reason to not use them or to not start using them. Seriously.

Take this as a snapshot for posterity. True vignettes like this may be useful to future sociologists.

Bongathon's were popular on the UCLA campus between the years of 1976 and 1982. They probably took place before and after that time period, but my sources can only verify for those years.

A bongathon required at least two participants. The number of a typical group was 6-8 individuals. A communal bong was used. The typical bong used was a commercial version (i.e., available in local head shops "off the shelf") with a base tube approximately 30 cm. tall, and able to contain about 0.5 liters of liquid. In recreational smoking it wasn't unusual to use beer, whiskey, whisky, wine, or orange juice as a filtering liquid. For the purposes of a bongathon only water was used, though crushed ice was allowed in order to cool the smoke.

The participants of the bongathon would bring their own "stash." Each "stash" consisted of about 30 grams of whatever popular cannabis was available. At that time in Los Angeles, cannabis was readily available. It still may be so.

The rules were simple with the participants sitting on the floor in a circle. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was optionally played loudly in the background. Alternatives were any music by Bob Marley or Queen. Disco music was verboten. The first participant would put weed in the bong and take a hit. The bong would then be passed around with other participants taking hits sequentially. As the herb was consumed, the next participant would re-fill the bowl of the bong. Each person would, in turn, re-fill the bowl of the bong as needed.

Determining the winner was as simple as the rules: whoever was left conscious was "the winner." The winner was rewarded by being able to drink the bong water.

No one could ever remember who won, but invariably, the bong water was gone when all woke up the next morning.

It was traditional to then eat many hotcakes.