It should probably also be noted that when the camera is set to take one of the three types of shot (C, H and P), this is marked on the film so it initially developed how you intend, but the image captured is the full size (H).

        H&P
|------------------|              (type) (width x height)
         C                   
  |--------------|                C - 6" x 4" (152x101mm)
 __________________       _ _     H - 7" x 4" (176x101mm)
|_|______________|_| _ _   |      P - 11.5" x 4" (289x101mm)
| |              | |  |    |
| |              | |  | P  | H&C
| |              | |  |    |
|_|______________|_| _|_   |
|_|______________|_|      _|_
The figure above is a representation of how the film is used for the different sizes of photo, not the sizes of photograph to scale. All three sizes are 4" tall. Thanks for telling me that needed to be explained better, Sverre.

The advantage of this is that you can convert a panoramic that didn't turn out so well into a regular-sized photograph, or vice versa.

The only other real advantages of the APS system are a) easy loading, archiving, and b) an index photograph provided.

The con for the system is easy; higher priced film, higher priced developing, more expensive cameras with less features.

2002.04.09@02:19 C-Dawg says re Advanced Photo System: Easy film loading is not to be sneered at! That's why I bought an APS, though I use digital now.