Edward O. Wilson was born in Birmingham, Alabama in 1929. Later he moved to the Mobile Bay Delta area where his attention turned to snakes. He eventually received a BS and MS from The University of Alabama and then his PhD from Harvard - all in biology.

More than just a biologist, E(ward) O. Wilson is the founder of sociobiology, a synthesis of standard biological principles with the inclusion of sociological concepts, implying that the science of biology would then try to take things from the more rudimentary level to try and explain human nature.

In general E.O.'s scientific career has been, when not focued on insects and other creepy crawlies, geared toward the unity of knowledge. To this end is his Pulitzer-prize winning book, Consilience (©1998; ISBN:0-679-76867-x). The book does a good job of showing how the sciences weave into and out of the humanities and social sciences from the prospective of a scientist. However, as a memeber of both the scientific and humanistic camps, I often find the conversation lop-sided and somewhat heavy-handed. The fact is though that E.O. is a scientist and firmly believes in the power of science to do all. This is for the reader to consider.

Other books by E.O. Wilson are:

* Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge

* Naturalist

* The Diversity of Life

* The Ants

* Biophilia

* On Human Nature

* Sociobiology: The New Synthesis

* The Insect Societies