The Northern Lights are auroras. Auroras look like curtains of light in the night sky around the north and south magnetic poles. Sometimes these can be seen closer to the equator in more populated areas. In the northern hemisphere, they are often called the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis, in the southern hemisphere they are known as Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights. They are caused by an interaction of the Solar Wind and the Earth's Magnetic Field.

The solar wind is a stream of plasma (electrons and protons) which constantly flows from the Sun out past all of the planets in the solar system. When these charged particles meet the Earth's magnetic field, it directs them to the north and south magnetic poles, just like the electromagnets in a television or oscilloscope guide the beam of electrons across the screen. The particles are directed to areas known as the auroral ovals. These ovals are permanent features of our upper atmosphere and constantly have visible auroras. The majority of us don't tend to see them though because of their location. The southern auroral oval usually resides over Antarctica and the northern oval is frequently over areas like Fairbanks and Anchorage. The ovals are not uniform shapes and bulge on the side of the poles opposite to the Sun. This means that the larger areas of auroral activity occur at local midnight which conveniently makes them easier to see. Relative to the Sun, these bulging areas stay put while the planet rotates beneath them.

When there is a solar flare, the solar wind picks up, we get more plasma travelling at faster speeds. When this hits the magnetic field, the force of the extra particles causes the ovals to expand and spread out over a larger area, the lower limits getting closer to the equator. The northern oval can at times spread as far down as Europe or the southern states of America.

Electrons from the plasma enter our atmosphere, strike atoms or molecules and pass on energy, the energy is soon released again as visible light in the form of a photon. The colour of the light released depends on what they hit and how much energy is passed on. Electrons hit oxygen atoms above 200km and release red light, between 100 and 200 km they hit nitrogen and release blue light. This also gives out a secondary electron which when it hits an oxygen atom gives out green light. Below 100km, nitrogen molecules glow crimson. The green light is easier to see than the reds which are in turn easier to see than the blue light. This means that to the observer, there seems to be a lot more green and red in the mix.

The colour is usually the first thing people notice about auroras, the second is the patterns that form and shift. The plasma of the solar wind contains both electric and magnetic fields which interact with the Earth's magnetic field. Because the solar wind is not a constatnt stream of plasma but gusts like wind here on Earth, it causes ripples and distortions in the Earth's magnetic field. The colours are caused by particles of plasma and the particles are channelled to Earth by our magnetic field so when you see the auroral arcs or "curtains", you're looking at the Earth's magnetic field lines in motion.

Curls form as small kinks develop in straight auroral arcs. Huge spirals that fill the sky form as auroral currents twist the magnetic field lines. As the currents increase, auroral arcs brighten and begin twisting into the spiral form, when the current decreases, the spiral fades and unwinds again.

Many other types of movements are seen in a good auroral display. The movement of a charged particle creates a magnetic field around the particle itself. As vast numbers of these particles follow the Earth's magnetic field lines towards the upper atmosphere, their magnetic fields interact with each other and with the Earth's magnetic field, creating the complex effects that are often seen.

Because auroras are intensified by solar flares, we can to an extent predict their arrival. The SOHO satellite constantly observes the Sun & sees solar flares coming. We get about 2-3 days warning before their effects are felt here on Earth. To receive email telling you when there's a flare headed our way, you can sign up to the space weather mailing list at www.space-weather.com. you can also find out up to the minute scientific info on the Sun-Earth environment.

info gained from:
http://www.spaceweather.com
http://science.nasa.gov
http://www.pfrr.alaska.edu - the Poker Flat Research Range