It seems to me that when the Seditionist Caucus met at the White House with former President** tRump to plan the January 6th Coup Attempt, their Dear Leader must have recently watched the movie Independence Day, probably with a big tub of buttery popcorn and a Diet Coke.

We know Trump likes short, punchy chants ("Lock her up!"), and I believe he was probably quite taken with a part of the speech Bill Pullman's character, President Thomas Whitmore, gives in the movie: "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!" (no doubt tRump imagined himself in the role, nobly issuing those words). So is it surprising that several of his sycophants have used the same phrase to stir up his cult followers before the insurrection?

Ted Cruz at a January 2nd rally in Georgia: “I am proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with you, as we defend the United States of America, as we defend our Constitution, as we defend our freedom, and WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT ...”

Conspiracy theory believer and rabid gun rights activist, Quongresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene in a video invites her followers to come to D.C. on January 6th: "We aren't a people that are going to go QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT."

Of course it should be noted that the movie quote is actually paraphrasing a line from Welsh poet Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night" and the GOP should be made to know that Democrats--and OK, a few other good members of the GOP--will NOT go gentle into the night (aka darkness) that Trump and his cult sought when trying to overturn a free and fair election. We will "rage against the dying of the light" and we will not let democracy die.

******************

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.