A paraplegic is someone whose lower body, including both legs, is completely paralyzed. This is often times brought on by injuries to the spinal cord, but in some cases degenerative diseases may afflict its victims with paraplegia.

Life is much more difficult for a paraplegic than a fully mobile person. In the past, it was quite hard to find occupations which these individuals were able to perform with minimal physical exertion. However, with the invention of the internet many paraplegics now have opportunities that were previously unavailable to them. The ability to work from home, or cyber-commute, can greatly reduce the ardous task which transportation can sometimes be for a person void of full mobility. Organizations geared towards paraplegics now have websites which offer news, financial information, and medical breaththroughs.

Famous paraplegic: Larry Flynt


end unemotional and detached commentary

I have no idea what it would be like to be a paraplegic. Everyday I wake up and flop out of bed without giving a single thought to my marvelously mobile self. Once I woke up and I couldn't hear out of my left ear. Everything changed then--school was different, work was different, nothing was the same. That is probaly the closest I will ever come to feeling the despair experienced daily by paraplegics. (And it cleared up within two days...poor me...)

Anyone who can overcome such a tremondous obstacle should be greatly applauded. I have a large amount of respect for individuals who can perservere despite great physical disabilities. I'm glad this nodeshell poped up to give me a dose of perspective...