BDUs (Battle Dress Uniforms) consist of a shirt and pants. I will review the winter-weight pants now and add more as I make more visits to the army surplus store.

Pants: Tech Specs

BDU pants come in two varieties: a summer weight version made of cotton ripstop and a winter weight version made of a poly-cotton twill. They come in olive drab, black, khaki, and several different varieties of camoflauge. There are reinforcement patch on the knees and crotch to make them harder to tear. The cuffs contain ties that make them more secure and to make it easier to form a proper boot blouse. The pants are six pocket cargo pants that use buttons to fasten everything. You can adjust the waist with two cotton pull-tabs.

Pants: The Subjective Experience

The pants are roomy and fairly comfortable. They do not restrict your motion, which makes sense when you consider that most people who wear them face getting blown up on a fairly regular basis. You don't want to have anything restricting your movements while you are diving into a foxhole. The pants are a little scratchy at first, but after a few washings they aren't bad at all. The pants have two main drawbacks. The first is the use of square corners in the pockets and reinforcement patches. Anyone who has ever studied portholes knows that a square edge is weak; the pants prove this. The corners tend to get caught on things and tear the pants. The second is that the buttons on the fly break easily and if you go commando this is a very bad thing.

They are fairly inexpensive pants and this offsets the problems with the buttons and corners. Overall, I'd rate them as a strong buy.