(Open Pluggable Edge Services) is (potentially)
- server-authorized services (e.g. at the web cache)
- assembling personalized web pages
- adding regional information to web pages
- client-authorized services
- virus scanning
- language translation
- adaptation for limited bandwidth
It is basically smart application-level web proxy framework that is currently being discussed in the IETF. Ironically enough, nobody's liked it or agreed about it enough for it to proceed anywhere yet people still try to push it onward.
The main gain is that all the application services will work within nearby web cache, and not across the network, thereby speeding the web surfing and decreasing network load.