Throw away your egg timers! Chuck out your egg cups!

I always make soft boiled eggs without either; I learned from my mother.

Put your eggs in a small pot. Add cold water to just cover the egg. Put it on the stove and turn the heat on, then watch it carefully. When the water is boiling, the egg is done. Take the pan off of the stove and take the egg out of the water.

Take a slice of bread for each egg, and tear or cut it into cubes. Put the cubes in a bowl.

Now comes the tricky part, which takes quick fingers. Use the edge of a spoon to crack the egg around its equator. Tap it hard enough to break the shell and just tear the inner membrane.

This next step takes some practice to avoid getting any eggshell into the bowl. Part the two halves of the egg over the bowl of bread, so that the yolk drops or pours into it. Put one egg half down and use your spoon to scoop the white out of the other one. Then scoop out the other half.

Stir, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy.

Note that eating any form of undercooked egg, where the yolk and white are not perfectly solid, poses a risk of salmonella. Use your common sense; that's what it's there for.
And while we're talking food safety, always wash your hands after touching eggs.