Don't knock Accutane. It's meant for extremely bad cases of acne. I had acne so severe on my back through high school and college that I often suffered pain simply from sitting in chairs and lying down. I had to warn people not to slap me on the back or hug too hard. My shirts would get stained with blood where the large acne had bled. I tried soaps, creams, antibiotics and the like over the years and none of it worked. Finally last year I went to a dermatologist that prescribed Accutane. Yes, it is incredibly expensive. It was $490 for a 6-week supply, but fortunately my insurance covered it. I took it for six months. I had to go to my dermatologist for blood tests to make sure it wasn't doing strange things to me. The side effects I suffered was the complete loss of oil in my skin. My forearms, hands, face and nose became ridiculously dry. I had to constantly apply lotion to my skin (four or five times a day). My lips were extremely chapped and they bled. My nose was bone dry inside, and I had to shove moisturizing ointment inside it to keep it from bleeding and peeling.

I would do it all over again, too. The acne on my back is completely gone. My girl can give me a back massage now. My shirts don't get ruined anymore. I don't have to constantly shift positions in my chair so that it doesn't hurt. And no, Roche didn't pay me to say all this.