Most of the imperialist expansions that european nations were endeavoring were not necessarily profitable. “Historians…point out that most of the areas claimed by Europeans and Americans were not profitable sources of raw materials or wealthy enough to be good markets” (Western Civilization). However, some of these lands could be put to good use as markets if they were educated to want the materials that Europe had to offer. Lord Macauley notes that if India could be educated to govern itself (thereby ridding Great Britain the financial burden of governing a backward people) but at the same time be educated to admire and need materials that only European manufacturers could offer, the advantages could be enormous. “To trade with civilised men is infinitely more profitable than to govern savages (Macauly).

Once the larger and older powers got a stronghold in Asia and Africa, Italy and Germany got into the game late in order to establish themselves as world powers. As childish as it seems, much of the reason for this expansion was based on competition with other European nations as well as national pride. Which explorer from which nation could climb the highest moutain in the portion of Africa that they controlled? The mystique of the “undiscovered country” brought a frenzy of interest to imperialist thrill-seekers. Almost as a precursor to a modern-day “It’s a Small WorldDisney tune, composers were writing music with themes pertaining to imperialism, such as Schumann’s Kinderszenen which included pieces like “Of Foreign Lands and Peoples” and Puccini’s Madama Butterfly. Kipling, who wrote both The Jungle Book and the poem White Man’s Burden is still debated as to his stance on Imperialism.

Many others in Europe felt that it was the duty of a more highly civilized society to educate and civilize the “savages” in foreign lands. “The superior races have a right because they have a duty…to civilize the inferior races” (Ferry). Missionaries and laypersons alike took up the belief that as Christians it was their god-given duty to spread the message and faith of Christianity.

Perhaps most important was the original need for foreign ports for fleets. “A navy…cannot do without safe harbours, defenses, supply centers on the high seas….” (Ferry). For practical reasons, “A warship cannot carry more than two weeks’ supply of coal” (ibid), and for matters of tactical advantage. The tactical reason also extended to actual holdings. Many European nations got involved in the mad scramble for land in Africa and Asia merely to keep the balance of power or to keep the path to their current holdings clear. When the Suez canal was completed, Britain vied for the surrounding land in order to have an unfettered route to India.

Ultimately, imperialism had many motivating factors as to its beginning, the least of all being profit. However, once it began, it was almost impossible to stem the tide of European expansion that held sway over Asia and Africa.


Sources: Jules Ferry on French Colonial Expansion
Lord Macauly on Indian Education
"Western Civilization from the 1400's to the present" -Brooklyn College Press