A merit badge
for Boy scouts
. This is not a required badge for Eagle
. Taken from meritbadge.com:
- Define "law." Tell some of its sources. Describe functions it serves.
- Discuss two of the following:
- The Justinian Code, The Code of Hammurabi, and the Magna Carta.
- The development of the jury system.
- Two famous trials in history.
- Tell what civil law is; criminal law. Tell the main differences between them. Give
examples of each.
- Ask five people (not more than one from your immediate family) about the role of law
enforcement officers in our society. Discuss their answers with them. Go to a law
enforcement officer in your neighborhood and ask him about his responsibilities and
duties. Report your findings.
- Tell what a contract is. Must all contracts be in writing? Explain. Tell about several
laws that have been passed to protect the consumer and the seller. Tell about several
organizations there are to help them.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Attend a session of a civil or criminal court. Write 250 words or more on what you saw.
- Plan and conduct a mock trial with your troop or school class. After the
trial is over,
discuss it with the group.
- Arrange a visit with a lawyer who works for a business, bank, title company, or
government. Find out his or her duties and responsibilities. Report what you learned.
|If it is impossible for your to arrange such a visit, discuss with your counselor the
duties and responsibilities of a lawyer who works for one of the groups listed.
- Explain the requirements for becoming a lawyer in your state. Describe how judges are
selected in your state.
- Make a list of 15 jobs which deal with some aspect of law or legal processes. Tell which
you prefer. Why?
- Tell where a person can go to obtain the help of a lawyer if they are unable to pay for
one. Tell what you can do if you can afford a lawyer but do not know of any in your area.