- The first effect of the nama is that it cleanses the mirror of the heart,
- the second effect is that it extinguishes the fire of
misery in the forest of birth and death [samsara],
- the third effect is that like the rays of the moon it
causes the flower of the jiva's ultimate good fortune to bloom, and
- the fourth effect is that it bestows the innermost
transcendental knowledge which is compared to a young
- The fifth effect is that it increases the ocean of
- the sixth effect is that it makes us taste the highest
nectar at every step, and
- the seventh is that it thoroughly cools and purifies
us inside and out.
- These are the seven effects of chanting hari-nama, and after this it bestows prema, making eight.
This gradual awakening beginning with cleansing the
mirror of the heart is nisanta-bhajana
, and after
this, when one meditates with rasika-bhava
eight parts [Ashtakaliya-lila
] of Sri Krishna
's day, His direct service is attained.
Parts excerpted from The Nectar of Govinda-lila by Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja