Owned by Cedar Fair, and located in Sandusky, Ohio, Cedar Point is considered by many the number one amusement park in the world. On the 364-acre peninsula bordering Lake Erie the park occupies are over a dozen roller coasters, earning the park a place in the Guinness Book of World Records, as there are more than at any other park.

Many of the rides themselves were at one time in Guinness, as when they were build they were the highest or fastest coaster. It's been also rated consistently as one of the best amusement parks, and a place that any fan of roller coasters and other thrill rides must visit. All this from a place that started as a little beach resort in 1870.

With many other thrill rides scattered all around the park, it's a guarantee that the place will never get boring. Long lines test the patience of many, however. So for additional money, visitors can pay for a Fast Lane wristband, which allows them straight to the platforms of many of the big rides without having to wait in the typically long lines on any given day. The Fast Lane lines can be a little long, but they rarely exceed 30-45 minutes, compared to 1-3 hours for many of the most popular rides. Costs vary depending on group size, but expect to pay between $50 (per person in a group of four) and $65 (individual) per wristband.

The larger roller coasters include:

  • GateKeeper, a steel winged coaster, opened 2013. Sleek, smooth and exciting! (Replaced Disaster Transport; its name comes from its position over the entrance gates.)
  • Gemini, a wooden twin-track coaster, opened 1978. Antiquated!
  • Iron Dragon, a steel inverted-track coaster, opened 1987. Slow and boring!
  • Magnum XL-200, a steel hypercoaster, opened 1989. Still great decades later!
  • Mantis, a steel stand-up coaster, opened 1996. Twisty and fun!
  • Maverick, a steel launcher coaster, opened 2007. Short but energetic and speedy!
  • Mean Streak, a large wooden coaster, opened 1991. Brutal and jarring!
  • Millennium Force, a steel gigacoaster, opened 2000. Awe-inspiring!
  • Raptor, a steel inverted-track coaster, opened 1994. Inverted glee!
  • Top Thrill Dragster, a steel strata-accelerator coaster, opened 2003. 14 seconds of mind-scrambling speed and height!
  • Wicked Twister, a steel inverted-impulse coaster, opened 2002. Short but twisty!

With the introduction of the Top Thrill Dragster in 2003, the trend toward roller coasters powered by hydraulics began. Hydraulically-powered rides are generally much faster those that use chain lifts. At the time of writing, however, only the Top Thrill Dragster and the Maverick utilize hydraulic power, but the number of such coasters is likely to increase in the future.

The smaller coasters:

  • Blue Streak, a small wooden coaster, opened 1964. Bumpy, short and old!
  • Cedar Creek Mine Ride, a steel mine train coaster, opened 1969. For tiny babies and old ladies!
  • Corkscrew, a steel coaster, opened 1976. Lots of loops but outclassed by newer rides!

Non-coaster thrill rides:

  • maXair, a "giant frisbee", opened 2005. High g-forces and free fall!
  • Power Tower, a combo drop tower with space shot and turbo drop, opened 1998. More free fall and breathtaking views!
  • Skyhawk, a high-speed mega-swing, opened 2006. More high g-forces and free fall in a slightly different configuration!
  • Windseeker, a swing tower, opened 2011. Low-speed spinning at 300 feet!

All of these non-coasters utilize hydraulic power, resulting in a very stable and highly enjoyable ride experience.

Water rides: