Means "Grandma" in French.

Also, brand of excellent jams and fruit compotes packaged in polygonal jars reminiscent of the traditional French home-preserving jar, with red gingham-patterned tops and a hand-lettered label design that resonates with rustic appeal.

The preserves are produced in the Lot Valley, a beautiful part of rural France, by Andros S.A, which also manufactures fruit juices and other fruit products. Bonne Maman uses no artificial coloring or flavoring, preservatives, or sweeteners. No pulps, purees, juices, concentrates, or cheaper fruits are added for bulk. The preserves are made with a high proportion of fruit (not less than 50%, with the exception of blackcurrant - legal and culinary requirements limit blackcurrant to 40% because of its high pectin and acidity).

Bonne Maman also now makes cookies (aka biscuits for most English speakers and Americans fond of BBC programming on public television). French sweet butter pastry galettes or tartlets filled with lemon curd, milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate coffee. Also "Sables aux Noix". If you like Pecan Sandies and live a virtuous life, this is what you'll find in the cabinets of your kitchen in heaven. Or you can skip the virtue bit and just have some now, they should be available in most specialty shops.

Bonne Maman has been a favorite in France for many years, and is now exported to devoted consumers in more than 100 countries. In the UK, the brand outsells its nearest extra jam competitor by more than two to one.

I once had a Bulgarian friend who served her guests tea sweetened with a tiny teaspoon of Bonne Maman raspberry preserves, topped with a slice of pear and a transparent half-moon of lemon. A cup of such tea and crisp ginger snaps are a perfect addition to conversation on a cool autumn afternoon.

The following list of varieties has been compiled from a hodgepodge of international Web sites, as Bonne Maman has no Web site or online catalogue. I've never seen figs and oranges here, for example, but apparently it's available in Egypt. Contributions of additional flavors are welcome.

Preserves (aka conserves)

Compotes:

  • Apple
  • Apricot
  • Cherry
  • Peach
  • Rhubarb

Marmalades:


http://212.113.29.232/products/bonmaman.html